A volunteer is a person who voluntarily offers him or herself for a service or undertaking, a person who performs a service willingly and without pay. Volunteers created the YMCA Movement in London, England 164 years ago and volunteers created the Norwich YMCA 153 years ago. Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization and our community. Volunteers are our heroes.
Former YMCA Board Member Steve Benenati created the Norwich Family YMCA Heroes Program in 2009. This recognition program highlights the importance of volunteerism and the impact volunteers have on our organization. Five categories were created in which individuals are nominated for exemplary volunteerism to the YMCA: Adult, Student, Employee, Policy Volunteer, and Lifetime Achievement Award.
Our recognition program is a sampling of our many volunteers. Volunteers come in many shapes, sizes, colors, ages, religions, cultures, and more. Volunteers are the canvas of what the YMCA stands for. YMCA members, staff, board members receive nominations for our Heroes program from those who are inspired by the work they do.
Focused on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility, our YMCA volunteers give men, women, and children of all ages and all walks of life the resources and support they need to be healthy, confident, connected, and secure.
- Lead our Boards of Directors and committees.
- Raise funds to ensure the Y is accessible to all members of the community.
- Support our Motorcycle Rally.
- Create and implement community events and tournaments (for example our volleyball tournaments that raise money for our scholarship program).
- Coach our sports teams and teach many of our classes.
- Help at special events such as Healthy Kids Day, Gus Macker, Turkey Trot, Halloween Parade and more.
- Read to our Preschool.
- Extend a hand to help adults who want to do more, be more, or live healthier.
- Advocate for the Y.
- Participate in opportunities to give back and support neighbors.
- The number of participants recognized each year may vary depending on the number of applicants submitted and whether the applicants meet the recognition requirements as established in the annual nomination forms.
Thank you to this year’s recipients and to all of our volunteers at the Norwich Family YMCA. Your commitment, dedication and support are greatly appreciated and have not gone unnoticed.
2019 YMCA Hero Honorees: