Children ages 6 weeks to 10 yrs. are welcome to enjoy time in the child watch room while you enjoy the YMCA facilities. A parent or guardian must remain in the building. We operate on a walk-in and first come basis. There is a two hour time limit per visit. Our child watch service is available free of charge for members holding a current YMCA membership. Your cooperation is much appreciated to ensure the child watch room is a fun and safe place for your child(ren).
Child Watch Hours:
Monday thru Friday: 8:00 am - 11:00 pm & 4:30-7:00 pm
- Sign your child(ren) in and out of the child watch program. Include first and last names.
- List your location on the sign-in sheet in case of an emergency.
- Staff will not release your child(ren) to any other person unless written or verbal permission is given by the parent of guardian and proper identification is available.
- All infants must have diapers and wipes provided in bag.
- Bottles and cups should be labeled with child's name.
- Staff will notify the parent or guardian via building page to pick up a child, if the child is inconsolable for more than five minutes or has become ill.
- Medication is not permitted in the child watch room. Snacks are not allowed in the child watch room or to be served during the program.
Staff Supervision and Interaction:
- The ideal staff ratio to children will be a maximum of 1:10 school age children, 1:6 toddler/preschool, and 1:2 infants.
- Staff interact with children at their eye level. Interactions are frequent. Most of the staff time is spent directly with children.
- Staff speak with children in a friendly, positive, courteous manner.
- Staff treat each child with dignity and respect.
- Staff and volunteers may bring their own child to the program only if the child is able to play independently, allowing staff to assume his or her responsibility to the remainder of the group.
- Staff greet parents, direct them to sign their child in and out, and share the details of the child's stay in the program.
- Staff guide and discipline in a positive manner.
- Staff meet the basic needs of the children and make sure they are comfortable.
Health and Safety:
- Children who are ill may not participate in the program. If child(ren) is home sick from school they cannot be signed into the program.
- When parents sign-in, they are agreeing that the child has been healthy for the past 24 hours.
- A diapering plan is in place. Staff must: wash hands or use non-latex gloves; sanitize surface after use; use proper diapering techniques; and dispose of diaper properly. Children are never left in wet or soiled diapers for an extended period. Staff will not be authorized to apply any ointment when diapering. Children in cloth diapers need to be in a cover. Cloth diaper changes will be the responsibility of the parent or at the discretion of the staff member on duty.
- Diaper surfaces are sanitized after each use, and diapers are disposed of in a proper garbage container.
- Staff and children wash their hands before and after diapering/toileting, before and after bottle feeding and infant, and after wiping runny noses.
- Children are signed in and out by a responsible adult and can attend the program for no longer than 2 hours.
- Children are not released to any other person unless written permission is given by the parent and proper identification is shown.
- Parents are required to stay in the building and must be accessible in the event of an emergency.
- Staff will notify a parent in the event that a child is inconsolable after 5 minutes of crying or becomes ill.
Parent Communication and Involvement
- Information about the program is shared with all prospective users.
- Staff introduce themselves to new families and take a moment to explain the program.
- Staff share information with parents about the child's stay, including; diapering, food intake, demeanor, and play activities.
Parents and/or guardians will be asked to sign our Child Watch Parent/Guarding Agreement and will be kept on file.